How a granary became Rosenlew Museum
The granary which was built on the front yard of the Aittaluoto government residence in Pori in 1860’s was designed by architect G. T. Chiewitz. The building was finished under the supervision of the provincial architect F. Lückows as Chiewtz had passed away before his work was completed.
The Rosenlew consortium bought the brick granary planned to be demolished from the government in 1937. The building was turned into a warehouse and a garage for the company’s transport service, Automo. The first objects for the museum were brought in in 1980’s when a vast collection of artefacts and archive material relating to the history of the company, gathered by Olavi Koskinen, needed a storage. The opening ceremonies of the factory museum collected by Koskinen were then held in the government granary in 1984. However, the fluctuating humidity and temperature in the unheated space posed a threat to the preservation of the collection.
In picture Olavi Koskinen. Työ ja Toimi 4 /1974.
Following the change of ownership of the Rosenlew Company the building ended up as property of UPM-Kymmene Oyj. UPM renounced the government granary in 2003, leaving the conserved building and the museum collection as possession of the town of Pori and under the care of Satakunta Museum. It was agreed that the collections and the building were to be preserved.
In 2004 the Rosenlew Museum project was launched, supported by the European Regional Development Fund, the town of Pori and the Rosenlew family, to reclaim the building as a modern museum. University of Turku and Svenska Kulturfonden i Björneborg were among other collaborative partners. The opening ceremonies of Rosenlew Museum were held in December 2006.
On 12 December 2008 the sculpture Lempi was revealed in front of Rosenlew Museum. The sculpture consists of letters from the logo on Rosenlew Company products, and a wheel manufactured at Pori Machine Works. The work was designed by four University of Art and Design Master’s degree students, Maria Atosuo, Riikka Kiljunen, Leena Lehti and Taru Pelto-Uotila with sculptor, TaM Sofia Saari as their supervisor.